• Home
  • Posts RSS
  • Comments RSS
  • Edit
  • Because I'd like to think I'm a small cog in a large forward-thinking machine....

    Tuesday, October 13, 2009
    I know its a little early to be thinking of Christmas, but I've got something exciting to do in the upcoming weeks, and it only happens around the holidays, and its definitely something I cherish with all my heart.
    We're just getting organized for the Operation Christmas Child event Adam and I have vowed to make a part of our Christmas celebrations every year. Last year was our first year, and we decided that we wanted to give needy children something to smile about on our favourite holiday season.
    We have partnered up with Adam's family's charity organization called Catalyst Foundation, to deliver boxes to as many children as possible overseas and abroad. Last year we managed to do 100 boxes 75% of the work was done by Adam and I, 100% of the shopping we did alone, and we had two friends help us finish up the boxes. All in less than 2 weeks.
    I was struggling with the loss of familiarity around me, my family was gone, my grounding, my roots, were disrupted and taken away. I also was dealing with the depressing nature of a Christmas without my parents. I was a mess to say the least. I was reaching out to find some sort of hobby to keep my sprits up. Something to make me feel good. And I found it. Boy did I ever find it.
    I swear to god, I ate, slept, and showered Operation Christmas Child for those two weeks. I was immersed, and it helped. Of course it was in such a short notice, and only got to use two weeks to get ready, so it was stressful too, but it was worth it.
    Adam and I had agreed to shoot for more boxes the following year, and now we're trying to settle on a number that would be doable in our small confined space. 100 boxes was a bit crazy to have all those boxes every where. So maybe since we have a bit of time before the due-date, we can do more, but in smaller batches, over the weeks.

    So maybe this year we will shoot for 300 boxes, or maybe we can do them as we go and hope for even more.  All I know is that I am extremely excited, as this is my highlight of Christmas these days.
    For everyone that is reading this, I think it's a great way to instill humanity into your children, to have them pack a box of nick-knacks to send to needy children. It helps them to grasp that while they play their Nintendo DS and ask for Nikes and cell phones for Christmas, that there are kids in third war countries that are overwhelmed with joy by receiving a colouring book and some crayons, a rubber ball, or stickers. It's also eye-opening to realize you are packing a gift for a child that consists of everyday things we take for granted, like a tooth brush, comb, face cloth and Soap.
    I hope that someday this will be my hobby. That maybe I might be able to be the one passing out these boxes in Peru, Africa, and Asia or where ever need be.

    Because I'd like to think that I'm just a small cog in a large forward-thinking machine...maybe someday I'll be the catalyst to change the way things are in countries that need me.

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment