• Home
  • Posts RSS
  • Comments RSS
  • Edit
  • Do you need a reason to live?

    Thursday, February 10, 2011
    Do you need a reason to live?


    I've asked myself this a few times in my short life, mostly because I look at everyone on the outside and covet what they have. I will admit this fully. Today I've seen things I can't unsee.

    I walked into The Knights Table today (a food bank), that doubles as a soup kitchen, that doubles as a breakfast program, that doubles as a family fun centre that doubles as a meals on wheels, that doubles as a .... Shall I go on?

    The building is falling down around me. The kitchen equipment is remarkably clean, albeit older than I am for sure. The tables and chairs are doubtedly younger than the building itself. I look around, and I see people in need. Today it’s a frigid -9 but it feels like -36. It is a slow time for the kitchen, it'll close soon. But there is a woman with her three children all under the age of 6 sitting in the corner eating soup and pizza, playing a game together, spending much needed time together, during this incredibly cold day.

    Another man sits down the table from them enjoying the soup. He doesn't look over 30 and dressed okay, but you can tell he might just "live" inside his own world.

    I feel guilty. I'm here on an orientation, so I can spend one day of my time volunteering for a school project. I'm basically using this organization to score me an "A".

    I note their need for...everything. They need everything. What do I need?

    They help thousands of families ...every year, providing a warm safe environment for homeless and the less fortunate to go catch a warm healthy meal. They work with barely the necessities, but they have over 500 volunteers come in through their doors, helping to keep this place afloat. Like I said, THEY NEED HELP

    This organization is taking advantage of the opportunity to enrol in the Pepsi Refresh Grant. They have ranked 18th so far on the list, and in my opinion as I scroll through the others that are before them, they deserve it the most.
    Please spare a minute and sign up for the Pepsi Refresh Challenge and vote for The Knights Table. They need this so badly, and their clientele need them badly as well.

    If you need more convincing, check out this video made by Peel Poverty Action Group in association with York University.  This is real.  This are people that you might see from day to day.  These are people that WORK at The Knights Table.  These are people who need recognition. All you need to do is vote.

    We can't ignore this anymore. It isn't taboo, its truth.

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment